West Coast Picture Festival. Picture: Phoebe Kiely
Submitted by Helen Bartosinski
The second chapter of a images and electronic artwork competition to take a look at and rejoice the west coastline of Cumbria and further than is set to start.
Packed with environment-course photography exhibitions, outdoor installations, imaginative relatives pleasant workshops and film screenings by artists, the next chapter of the West Coastline Photograph Pageant 2021, organised by Signal Film and Media, will run from Oct 7 to November 7.
Continuing on from the good results of the summer time chapter in June which showcased a absolutely electronic pictures competition, West Coastline Image Pageant returns for its up coming and closing iteration, spread across a number of venues together with Florence Arts Centre in Egremont, educate station platforms on the Cumbrian railways, Barrow Market and the Rum Story in Whitehaven, Cumbria.
Gallery exhibitions and live events at Cooke’s Studios Gallery Areas, Barrow-in-Furness involve:
- A striking exhibition bringing alongside one another for the to start with time the recently commissioned get the job done of two acclaimed British social documentary photographers, Vanessa Winship and Phoebe Kiely.
- Cumbrian Concentrate: an exhibition of new function from regional and rising photographers that includes Marie Smith, Katrin Joost, John Darwell, Mario Popham, Henry Iddon & Philip Green celebrating the people and locations of this exclusive coastline.
- Video get the job done from Cumbrian artists Danielle Chappell Aspinwall and Zoe Forster who had been mentored by Signal Film and Media during lockdown.
- A gorgeous exhibition of artwork produced by younger people from faculties from throughout Copeland and Barrow-in-Furness. Created during out of doors seashore-primarily based workshops with environmental artists Tim Pugh and Di McGhee.
Outside installations and exhibitions in venues across the West Coast of Cumbria:
- The Caravan Gallery will create their Barrow Satisfaction of Area project at Barrow Current market encouraging site visitors to get associated by sharing stories and using part in workshops, transforming a market place stall into an exhibition space and observing it develop about the opening weekend in October.
- Huge-scale outside images installations from the Components open up simply call opposition in many stations alongside the West Coastline Railway.
- On the web site of a historic iron ore mine, Florence Arts Centre in Egremont will host exhibitions celebrating the photographic talent from across the West Coastline of Cumbria. Showcasing an out of doors exhibition of the major 5 winners of the Elements Open up Phone levels of competition and artwork designed by younger men and women from educational facilities throughout the county through workshops in the spring of 2021 with artists Tim Pugh and Di McGhee.
- Explore a long time of pictures from the West Coastline and further than in the Sankey images archive exhibited at the ‘Seeing the North with Sankey’ exhibition at the Dock Museum in Barrow from the Oct 15.
Creative workshops, participating talks and spouse and children exciting loaded events for all to get included:
- Indication up to images workshops at The Rum Tale in Whitehaven led by West Coastline celebrated artists and photographers these types of as Philip Eco-friendly.
- Learn from the critically-acclaimed artists who are exhibiting at Cooke’s Studio in Barrow-in-Furness all through the opening weekend with a programme of talks, panel conversations and masterclasses.
- Choose section in drop-in family inventive actions on Saturday, October 9 and the Half Phrase October holiday seasons with local artists at Cooke’s Studios.
- Be part of us on the closing weekend of the competition for our wrap function like movie screenings at Florence Arts Centre on November 6.
Loren Slater, co-director of Signal Film and Media mentioned: “After the inescapable postponements we now are unable to hold out to last but not least share all the outstanding get the job done that has been produced.
“The exhibitions reveal and take a look at the unique identity and character of this normally-forgotten, amazing location of the United kingdom, and this county-extensive competition will give a exceptional opportunity to see environment course exhibitions and enjoyable new commissions.
“We hope it will be one thing welcome, uplifting and inspiring in what has been a turbulent and stressing time.”
John Baker, chief government, Whitehaven Harbour Commissioners explained: “Whitehaven Harbour was delighted to host two breathtaking installations as part of chapter just one of the West Coastline Picture Pageant within our Hub spot. They presented a real landmark and speaking level for the hundreds of readers that walked the Harbour and Marina each 7 days and the engagement was fabulous to see.
“On the again of such difficult occasions for every person, it has shown that art and creative imagination is a force for bettering normal properly-becoming in the community, that it encourages discussion and engagement and that it draws individuals into the town and evokes them to deliver to daily life the amazing landscapes, landmarks and communities that surround us in Whitehaven and along the West Coastline.”